Thursday, September 6, 2007

Handling the information in your life - newsletters, listservs

I get a lot of e-mail. Sometimes, I think I get too much e-mail, but I find, in some ways, it's a convenient way to keep abreast of a lot of topics, without getting too involved unless I'd like to do so.

One way I do this is to use newsletters and listservs (also known as mailing lists) to keep up with information on various topics. Many web sites offer e-mail newsletters on a weekly or monthly to quarterly basis.

Here are some sites with these features I use and what I like about them.

1. http://www.nursezone.com/
NurseZone has several newsletters available that will link you to the latest stories on their web site. This is very helpful, since I don't always have a lot of time to surf to each one individually. It's very simple--they send out the newsletter with the latest topics and if one piques your interest, simply click on the link in the e-mail.

2. http://dir.yahoo.com/Health/Nursing/
This site has a good compilation of information in two pages for newsletters, nursing sites and links to mailing lists.

3. http://consortiumlibrary.org/hsis/find/internet/mailing_lists.php
This page, from the University of Alaska at Anchorage has links to nursing mailing lists and other information on finding nursing mailing lists of your choice.

4. Your friendly, neighborhood nursing association.
I live in Missouri, and our organization MONA (the Missouri Nurses Association) has newsletters and other information on its web site. For more information and web site links to your state nursing association, check out ANA Nursing World.

No comments: